Norman Arch (JC0001)
JC0001 (Visit Cache Page)
N 55° 47.738 W 2° 16.554
( 55.795633333333, -2.2759 )
Location: , United Kingdom
A small cache with enough room for small swaps.
The ancient name for the village of Edrom was Etherham. 'Ether', being the name for the river and 'Ham' meaning a village or settlement.
The settlement dates back to the the 7th Century in the time of King Edwin of Northumbria and possibly even before then.
It is known that Thor Longus obtained a grant in 1096, during the reign of Edgar and Wiliam Rufus of England, for the lands of Ednaham, as the hamlet had become known. Thor built the original Norman Church around 1105, which was probably destroyed during the reformation although an archway remains today, standing behind the present church it leads to the burial vault of Robert Blackadder.
The village and lands were granted to Coldingham Priory early in the 12th Century as were many others in this part of the Scottish Borders. The Priory at Coldingham became one of the wealthiest in the land.
A new Church was built in 1732 and restored and enlarged in 1886.
Hint: (hover over pencil to decrypt)
Onfr bs jnyy, haqre vil.
Want to build your own .GPX file and cache page? Click here. It's free.